Friday, September 13, 2013

It seems like we are back where we started! I started this blog several years ago when I was cooking for a large family on a small budget. Well the kids grew up and moved out, but whamo... they are back! So once again ralph and I find ourselves cooking for a large family (only 7 this time) on a tight budget!

We had someone give us deer meat recently and last night it was all we had to put on the table. We ran thru the ideas, deer meat chili, chicken fried deer meat (already had that twice in the last week) fajita deer meat. We decided to do stuffed baked potatoes!

1 lb of venison cut into bite size pieces (you can use beef or pork)
2 small bell peppers (red and green were pretty)
1 onion
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
7 large baking potatoes
1/2 bag frozen corn

Additional toppings we had on hand
Butter
Sour Cream
Shredded cheddar cheese
salt
pepper

We cut the pieces of venison small and I put it on the electric griddle. added the onions and bell peppers. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder and sauteed till the vegetables were soft. Meanwhile I microwaved the potatoes (I had to do it in 2 batches because we had 7 large potatoes!) after the potatoes came out I heated the corn with some butter on it.

Each person made their own potato with some of the saute mixture and corn on it and toppings of their choosing.

I have to say, i have never been a huge fan of venison, the whole bambi thing and all... but this was really tasty!

What did we have for lunch today? venison fried rice

1 cup of Left over venison, with peppers and onions
1/2 cup of left over corn
a 1/2 cup of frozen peas
5 cups of cold left over rice
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp ginger
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 egg beaten

I heated the oil in the skillet and added the rice, corn, peas, left over meat and vegetables Saute for 3 minutes. Add the soy sauce and ginger and continue to saute for 10 more minutes. Make a well in the middle of the mix and add scrambled egg. cook till firm and mix into the fried rice.

Since I just decided to revive the ole frugal cooking blog, I don't have pictures but I will in the future!! We probably wont always have 7 eating, hopefully the family of 4 will move out, but we will still be on a budget with 3!

No comments: